The Beak Of The Rooster
This amazing Pico de Gallo recipe is essential for tacos, chips and salads. Literally translated, Pico de Gallo means “beak of the rooster” but there’s very little agreement on its origins. Because the colours of the red tomato, white onion, coriander and green chili are reminiscent of the colours of the Mexican flag, it is also sometimes called Salsa Bandera (flag sauce). In Northern Mexico it’s called Salsa Mexicana and at Mexicali Fresh we call it Salsa Mex. The lively combination of tomatoes, onion, and coriander enhances everything from grilled fish to scrambled eggs.
(Yield 3 cups)
- 3/4 cup white onion, minced (about 1/2 medium onion)
- 1 1/2 cups plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped (about 4 large tomatoes)
- 1 tablespoon hot green chilies, stemmed, seeded, and minced (about 2 medium chilies)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime (from 1 small lime)
Chop all ingredients and stir together in small non-metal bowl. Enjoy!